These articles are not meant for self diagnosis. If you are concerned about your pet's health, and believe they have ingested food that is toxic to them, please immediately contact our clinic or an emergency after hours vet clinic for prompt vet care.
**Any word marked with a * can be found in our glossary at the bottom of this article for it's definition**
If your dog has consumed grapes or raisins, take them to a vet immediately. Your dog can develop long-term kidney disease or even die from kidney failure within 3-4 days.
Please keep in mind, I am NOT covering EVERY substance that is toxic to dogs in this article. Please be careful what you choose to feed & expose your furry friend to. Below I have included more toxic substances to avoid.
The safest route is always only feed dog brand food & treats.
ASPCA Hotline ($59 fee)
Activated Charcoal: material that is used to prevent absorption of toxic materials in the stomach & intestines
Anemia: decreased number of red blood cells in the body
Dehydration: decrease in water concentration in the body
EKG Monitoring: use of heart rate machines to continually monitor the heart rate and heart rhythm of a patient
Ethanol: a colorless volatile flammable liquid produced by natural fermentation of sugar
Hypoglycemia: Low blood sugar
Lethargy: Decreased activity
Theobromine: a bitter compound from cacao seeds that resembles caffeine
Toxicosis: condition caused by a poison or a toxin