Many common household items can pose a threat to our animal companions. The easiest way to protect your pet is to use common sense and take similar precautions that you would with a child. Unfortunately, medication isn’t the only danger to your dog. While it’s easy to leave items haphazardly around your home, especially if you’re rushing out the door, you should take extra precaution with certain things. I will go into detail about a few household products & possible signs and symptoms below.
Please keep in mind, I am NOT covering EVERY household product that is toxic to dogs & cats in this article. Please be careful what you choose to expose your furry friend to.
Ethylene glycol, the main ingredient in most antifreeze brands, has an inviting aroma and a sweet flavor.
Signs & Symptoms: Lethargic, disoriented, ataxia, vomiting, kidney failure, coma, & death.
Treatment: Inducing vomiting, supportive care, activated charcoal*, monitoring bloodwork, IV fluids.
ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR VETERINARIAN PRIOR TO STARTING YOUR PET ON ANY MEDICATION!!
When a battery is punctured or swallowed, there is risk for the alkaline or acidic material to leak out, resulting in severe corrosive injury. The most common types of batteries ingested or chewed on by dogs are alkaline dry cell battery (e.g., 9-volt, D, C, AA, AAA) or button/disc batteries.
Signs & Symptoms: Drooling, Pawing at mouth, Vomiting, Difficulty Swallowing, Abdominal Pain, Decreased appetite
Signs & Symptoms: Vomiting, Diarrhea, abdominal pain, & oral ulcers
Treatment: Activated charcoal, bloodwork monitoring, IV fluid therapy
These articles are not meant for self diagnosis. If you are concerned about your pet's health, and believe they have ingested a product that is toxic to them, please immediately contact our clinic or an emergency after hours vet clinic for prompt vet care.
ASPCA Hotline ($59 fee)
Thank you guys for following us for this month's Blog posts.
Stay tuned next Month as we discuss Heartworm Awareness. We will cover Heartworm Disease, prevention.